March 14, 2008

Simplicity

I work with a really nice guy. He's also a very angry and bitter guy too, but for the most part...he's a straight-up, do-the-right-thing kind of guy. He's got a real big beef with the Church - which I figure goes way back, so I'm not gonna mess with it - and went off on a couple tangents for a few minutes with me today. He wasn't malicious about it, with me anyway (he might have shaken up the pre-Missionary that we work with a little), more...venting than anything.
Anyway, he's talking about real "big" topics like polygamy and the Word of Wisdom, how he thinks the church is hypocritical about things, conspiracy theories, stuff like that. He wasn't really to a point where he asked me what I thought, and I got the drift that he either made up his mind on what I thought, or hadn't got up the courage to ask me to say it out loud.
I thought about it anyway.
First, so I don't hear about it from all you historian/letter-of-the-law types out there, I thought about how misinformed/misguided/incomplete his research was.
Second, I thought about trying to figure how much I just don't care.
Well, to phrase it better, since my friend seems to me to be a "Don't judge me" kind of guy, these words came to my mind, "O then, my beloved brethren, come unto the Lord, the Holy One. Remember that his paths are righteous. Behold, the way for man is narrow, but it lieth in a straight course before him, and the keeper of the gate is the Holy One of Israel; and he employeth no servant there; and there is none other way save it be by the gate; for he cannot be deceived, for the Lord God is his name."
If there's only one thing that brings me peace, after knowing that we're saved because of Jesus, it's that Jesus is the only one who gets the final say. My friend can point out all the hypocrisy and evil men in the church, sadly being right on more than a few occasions, and I can come back and fix it all, but in the end it doesn't really matter. He, who came and lived and died for man, who lived and died for me, who knows and loves everything about me, it is He who will be my advocate. Whether or not I really understand what polygamy was all about, or if the Word of Wisdom actually says I could have a beer if I wanted, or the other myriad of things that people get hung up on and suffer for, it matters not. I know what I believe, and He and I will hash it out by ourselves, thank you very much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that in the end, it's just between me & Him. I have so many questions about myself... that if we went by the black-and-white letter of the law the answer would be "Sorry, no, you're not getting in." But I have to believe there is more to it than that, otherwise, what is the point?