August 28, 2006

My 300 Dads

Driving to work this morning, I saw a face that I haven't seen in about 10 years. That face belonged to a Mr. Bill Chipman. I wanted to honk and get his attention, but I figured that he hasn't seen my face in that same 10 years, let alone with my goatee, so he would probably would think I'm just another crazy Utah driver. Aside from that, the feelings of gratitude that were drummed up in me for this man couldn't just be summed up with a "HONK HONK!" Maybe, if I was Beaker on Sesame Street, but no.
Really, though, the feelings that I felt I think were for all the Dad's that helped raise me in the stead of my own dead father (cause Bill and I were not all that close). So, I'd like to take this moment in cyber-space to give a shout-out of gratitude for all the role-models, the adopted fathers (for father/son campouts), the disciplinarians (when I was corrupting your own children), and all the rest of you who were, and are, just good all-around guys that came in to my life for even the briefest of periods.
With the exception of Bill, I'm not going to name names here, because, like the title says, there's over 300 of you. I hope that those of you who got my post-card with the link to this site will take the time to read some of my posts, and see what you helped create (I like to think that I'm a pretty level-headed guy...that's for you to decide, I guess). Once again, thanks to each of you for your part in my life.

No comments: