September 18, 2007

Excerpts

I sent this to Paul Rolly at the Tribune (sorry Maurice) earlier today, and feel that I've been neglecting my blog of late, so here's a little update:

Not 10 minutes ago as I was driving to the U of U, I saw a deer running loose on Foothill Blvd. Naturally, not wanting anything bad to happen, my first instinct was to call 911. After telling them the same thing I just told you, I was told that the boys in blue don't do anything about deer. Now, I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time that a deer has strayed into more urban areas, so I asked the dispatcher to whom I should be speaking...someone like animal services?
"No, they only do something if the deer's been hit."

This is the second time in 3 weeks I've come across such excellence in our dispatch unit. The first happened when I discovered the suicide jumper up at the Engineering building at the U, and the dispatcher to whom I was speaking couldn't make it past what I'm assuming was a computer prompt asking what was the building number, nevermind the fact that I kept telling her exactly where the building was. Luckily about 6 other people were calling 911 too, and didn't get someone as ridiculously stupid as I had gotten. (I don't want to lay blame on the actual police themselves, I'm sure everyone else in the force knows where the University of Utah is.)

1 comment:

SalGal said...

I know who that operator was, and yes, she is a flake.